Thursday, February 9, 2012

Update on Wesley

Wesley is back to his normal self.  Everything is great, his head is great, his ticker is good, and he is a strong and healthy boy.

Here is a synopsis on what happened.  (Okay, this is LONG, I apologize in advance for all the grammatical errors. )

Jan 26th- I took Cailyn and Wesley to Target.  They did not have any of those limo looking carts so I opted for a regular cart and Wesley in the bag buggy.  I was not buying much so storage was not an issue.  Not to make this story longer then it needs to be he stood up to point at something, I pulled the cart back towards me and Wesley toppled out backwards- head first.  As hard as he fell I was sure there was going to be blood.  No blood just lots of tears.  We got ice, we got popcorn (thought that would sooth the pain) and we were on our way home.

No dice.  On the way home he started trying to fall asleep and it scared me. So off we went to the doctors office.  They checked him out and besides being droopy tired he seemed fine.  They gave me strict guidelines to follow and to wake him up ever 30 minutes, but when we got home for him NOT to fall asleep.

On the way home he tried to fall asleep and I kept on waking him up and sure enough he threw up.  I was scared because they told me if he threw up more then 2 times we had to go to the emergency room. 

Besides being a little lethargic he seemed okay.  Then he threw up again right before bed.  He just kept saying he was tired and want to go to bed.  After getting some reassurance from my sister’s MIL, Miss Paula, I decided he could go to bed.  I set my clock and would wake him up every 30 minutes.  Then after we hit the 12hr mark I woke him up every hour.

In the morning when he work up I was feeling pretty confident everything was okay.  He even said to me “Mommy I think I am healthy now”  Cool!

We took it easy didn’t do much except stuff around the house. 

Here he is on Saturday and he looks good…he made this tower himself.

Then on Sunday everything seemed to backtrack for us.  He woke up fine and then by 9:00 he was throwing up again.  I had to go to church so I went to church with Lawson.  Collins, Wesley and Cailyn stayed home.  I put in a call to the triage nurse for advice and Wesley slept.  The nurse did not get back to us until I got back home and after I told her the details she pretty much said very alarming “WAKE HIM UP, GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM NOW”  My heart dropped.  Not that I didn’t believe her but I called Miss Paula (Lauren’s MIL) again just to make sure.  (I guess I should add that Collins started a new job and we had no insurance.) Although I want my kids to be healthy I just wanted to make sure. Miss Paula confirmed “TAKE HIME TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM NOW”  We got Wesley up and dressed and Collins and Wesley were off.  I was to take care of our other children.  I was a basket case.  Not gonna lie.  I wanted to be with my baby, he needed his mommy. Those few hours seemed to be the longest hours!! As my mind raced Collins was comforting our son and we got great news, he was fine.   He had a fever but his head injury was fine.  Our message “Just continue to take it easy and he will be fine.” THANK YOU, LORD!!

His fever got higher that evening and I was back to checking on him multiple times a night but he was good.   Thank you to all those that prayed for our buddy!!

He was back at school on Wednesday and did great. 

Then Friday’s doctor rounds: As if all this wasn’t enough, he had his annual heart appointment.  They did find a venous hum but with the double checking of an EKG he is fine. 

Then later that afternoon we went to the doctors just for a double check on his head…head fine.  Ear- infection.  Since he was showing no symptoms I chose not to give him an antibiotic.  Good thing because when we went BACK (yes, BACK) to the doctor’s on Monday for his 4 yr checkup the ear infection was pretty much gone.

Last but not least, if you are still reading this good for you.  This really is for my records.  His 4 yr check up went great.  He is 41.5” tall, he is 40lbs and health wise in great shape.  Wesley did fail part of his hearing test so we are going to take a trip to the ENT.  How he failed his test and some of the information I gave them about how he is sensitive to loud noises made them believe he needed to be checked out.  What is one more doctor’s appointment at this point really? I will keep you updated on how he does.

So that pretty much sums it all up Wesley is happy and healthy and will never sit in a grocery cart again!!

One more thing… I have to share this note from his teacher.  MADE MY DAY!!! 

Oh, and the part of us being awesome parents is pretty nice too Winking smile


Heather said...

So happy that Wesley is feeling better and that his cardio appointment went well! :-)

Melissa said...

Whew! Glad Wesley is feeling better. And please thank Lawson for Hinton's sweet card. Thank you too of course, but the card made my day.

Jill said...

Oh my! What an ordeal! I am so glad Wesley is OK. I know you must have been terrified.