Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Athletic Gene

My family loves sports we are what you call 'sports junkies.' Although I am close to 6 feet tall I am not very athletic. I played basketball for two years in high school and honestly I don't like to sweat so playing sports was not a very good fit for me. I do however LOVE to watch sports. My hubby, he played soccer in High school but I wouldn't call him athletic either (love ya babe). Although we don't play, one of our favorite pass times is to watch sports. Hubby found out very quickly how much I loved sports while we were dating. I canceled our 3rd date within an hour's notice, because I got basketball tickets to see Duke vs NC State. (I am a big Duke Basketball fan, can you blame me?!?!) Somehow over the years he has forgiven me for that one!! (Good thing!!)

My twin brothers on the other hand are VERY athletic. They both played basketball (soccer, baseball, golf, etc) from early childhood through college. On top of that they can pretty much pick-up anything that requires any athletic skill. Example: Ryan went snow skiing for the first time his junior (?) year of college. Then two times down he was on the black diamond slopes with no problems. I go skiing (bunny slopes) for the first time and bust my tail so many times I give up and go back to drink hot cocoa and nurse my wounds.

My point to all this is I hope that my children pick up my brothers' athleticism. And there is hope check out these pictures!

Lawson shooting the basketball. Look at that follow-thru!! (keep your eyes on the ball!!)


Uncle Chad shooting a three, nothing but net!!

Love you buddy!!

As for Wes, the boy loves balls and we have the best time rolling the ball to each other. Oh I can't wait to be a sports' mom (or a dancer's mom or a pianist's mom, or whatever they choose), but mostly a sports' mom. I promise not to be one of the obnoxious mom's who thinks their child is the next Michael Jordon or Kristi Yamaguchi. Regardless of what they choose, I believe one of my children will love sports and hopefully will get some of their Uncles' skill!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your children will too. The pictures are a good indicator!
Grammy

The Thompsons said...

I will probably be the sports mom throwing a chair onto the field...aka 'Old School'.

Amy said...

The only "sport" my daughter likes is ballet, and her gym teacher is *not* happy about it. We're going to try karate in the spring. Thanks for commenting on my blog--I was delighted to hear that you liked our turkey placecards.