Monday, March 31, 2008

Wes's First Day at School


This morning I did the thing I have been dreading since Wes was born. I dropped him off at daycare. It was a little tougher then I thought it was going to me. This morning he woke up around 4:45 he ate then I laid him back down. I got ready and then woke Wes up. When I woke him up he was smiling from ear to ear!! So happy!! I am thinking to myself "buddy why are you smiling don't you know where you are going today" but through watery eyes I kept on smiling. I knew I was close to breaking down at any moment and to hear him cry would probably do it so I was dreading putting him in his car seat. On most occasion Wes lets me know how unhappy he is that he is in his car seat. So I put him in his car seat and all he does is SMILE!! Now, I am grateful for having such a happy baby but come on!!! I am taking you to school you are suppose to cry. I think it would have been easier if he had of cried but he didn't!! He was all smiles. I stuck around long enough for feeding time again. I don't know if I stayed around to wait for him to cry or for me. Either way he did start crying and would not take a bottle. So Mommy took over and went into the office. Once he was comfortable in a swing I took off (1 1/2 hours later).

When I dropped off Lawson she left me without looking back. She was off playing with her friends. I had to beg for a hug and a kiss. I needed that hug and kiss. I needed reassurance from my oldest child I was doing the right thing. As I watched her start playing with Sara I knew I was. Lawson loves her friends at school. Sara has been her playmate since they were 5 months old. I remember when Sara would come in the room in the mornings Lawson would practically jump out of my arms to get to her. So as I looked around Wes's new room I wondered to myself "who will be his best bud?" "who will be the one that Wes talks about and tells me XX is my best friend" Only time will tell but for right now I want time to slow down. I want to treasure everyday, every moment and just soak it all in. Each day is truly a gift from God and I am so grateful that he blessed me with two beautiful children and a wonderful husband.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love love love that picture! Glad you made it through the first day.

Avery & Hailey said...

Oh yes...I remember that first day of school...it sucks! I'm sorry! I know it was hard for you.

CharGrill said...

What a cutie! He was smiling to say, "thanks Mom, I'm good, it's going to be okay!" You're a great Mom - I love hearing your stories. Maybe one day I'll enjoy the pains of motherhood, too. : ) Char

Donna Wright said...

I am thinking of you each day as you go back to work! I can't even imagine... Love you girl! -D

Unknown said...

Oh what a tough day for you Maridith! I can't imagine how it must feel to have to leave your child. I am sure it will get easier, and from what you tell of Lawson's experiences you have them in a great place. Take care, Jill