Friday, February 6, 2009

Heart Doctors & Go Red Friday

People around the United States are wearing red today (I am not because I am reading this late but will next Friday) because February is GO RED for Woman Campaign from the National Heart Association. I read a lot about women's heart disease from this link. And it got me thinking...I have something to share... It is not connected to women's heart disease but my son's heart.


I am going to share something really personal today. This week Wesley had his second heart doctor's appointment at UNC Children's Cardiology. I won't go into the details of why he goes, but know there is no serious issues, and everything has come back that Wesley has a perfectly healthy heart, we just need to be precocious because of our family history. As the doctor said "it sounds kinda boring in there!" That is what we like to hear!


Anyway, the reason I am writing this is because I am so impressed with the care we are receiving at UNC Children's Cardiology. It is amazing. To make sure my little boy's heart stays healthy, Wesley is going to be seen until he is 18 years old (when he is considered an adult) but under heavy advisement he will go until his mommy says he doesn't have to go. We will go every 6 months until he is 5 years old. Then go once a year until he is 10-11 then once again go every six months until he is 18 years old. I love it that they are really taking us under their care to make sure my son's heart develops the way it should. I guess once he is 18 years old we will go down stairs to WakeMed Heart Center.


On top of that our doctor went to the Heart Association Conference and deliberately went to a seminar that was directly linked to our situation. He was able to get a contact at the Institute and is going to stay abreast on all current findings. He told me in his "geeky" way he was looking forward to seeing us because he had learned more. AMAZING!!


All I can say is with all the things that I worry about every day and every night- I feel so confident that this doctor has our best interest at heart and really does care! (No pun intended)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling this story.........

Anonymous said...

I love you Maridith for this and many, many other reasons.

Pops

The Thompsons said...

What heart condition is it? You know me...I am curious...

Anonymous said...

I think we saw every UNC cardiologist and most of them were great (one wasn't my fav) and so nice. Dr. F and H were our favs. I'm glad Wesley is doing well.
Shannon

Unknown said...

Glad Wesley is doing well and you have such great doctor's looking out for him!

Elizabeth said...

It is wonderful to have a great doctor...so glad that Wesley is doing well and the doctor is being proactive. I will definitely wear red on Friday...for you and your family. I love you!!

Lauren said...

I'm so thankful to hear that Wes is under such great care!

Anonymous said...

So glad that the test results were good! Please let me know when y'all go back again; I'd love to be able to pray for little Wesley! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You have to be the person in charge of your family's health care. It is very important to feel confident in the doctor and in his interest in long term care. And how about your cardiac status?? Keep us posted.
Love you,
Paula